Monday, February 7, 2011

Me Talk Pretty One Day. 1-31


Every time I look at the cover of this book I have an urge to say the title out loud as if it were a question. Don't ask me why it's just the first thing that pops in my mind. So the new book I'm reading is called Me Talk Pretty One Day by the well known David Sedaris. The first time I ever came across the name David Sedaris was in my Adv Scenes class. A girl by the name of Molly Zweig had brought a book in of his for her read aloud assessment. It was hilarious in a morbidly witty kind of way. The book was Holidays on Ice, she could only read a small part of it because of time issues, but in that crunch of time the book was able to grab my attention. I'm assuming from already reading a couple of chapters of Me Talk Pretty One Day, That David tends to tell stories about everyday life through his perspective and let me tell you his perspective is pretty darn funny. Since his chapters are broken down into different stories involving his life I'm going to set the passages up differently.

Go Carolina
So far this has to be one of my favorite chapters. I've only read three but its definitely on top. It talks about Davids on going speech problems he had as a child. He struggled with the letter S. Sadly I can relate I struggled with the letter S too, however he blames his speech issues on his homosexuality claiming that only "boys like him" go to speech therapy and that officials such as his speech therapist  are on the watch out 24/7 looking for there next victim (this is all satirical). He goes on to talk about his struggle with the letter S and his overall banishment of the evil S by avoiding it all together. He would say things such as correct instead of yes and  please became with your kind permission. He goes on talking about is hatred for the speech therapist until later on when it is their last session she decides to throw a quaint little part. While the two man party is going on David realizes shes more easy going then he originally thought. A very funny moment (maybe my favorite so far) happens while they are exchanging mindless banter. She asked if he received any presents over the holiday and he of course avoiding his S's he replies "Well, I usually remain here and open a gift from my family." She then precedes to ask if he only opens one gift. He answers "maybe eight or nine." "Never six or seven?" She questions. He of course retorts "rarely". Of course David Sedaris is a genius and like we all know, retelling a joke  isn't as funny as it was the first time.

Giant Dreams, Midget Abilities
 This story has a lot to do with his father a brainy engineer, who has a little taste for Jazz and the Blues, maybe more like an obsession with it. David talks about how his childhood consisted of listening to Jazz and his father passion for jazz music. He even mentions how his fathers parents, "the Greek immigrants" who despised Jazz music, so in a way Jazz was his fathers form of rebellion. He later talks about his fathers crazy idea that had to do with his children all playing musical instruments, now this idea would not be so crazy had the children picked up the instruments on the whim of their own free will. No, Instead David comes home one day to discover a guitar lying in his room. He pleads his dad to allow him to skip out on lessons but after his father basically pushes him out of the car in front of the guitar store he decides to play along. A midget by the name of Mister Mancini  was his tutor . The first thing Mr.M tells Davis to do is name his Guitar after a female. At this point David becomes uncomfortable because of his non-interest when it came to females...he names it Joan. Later on he confesses to Mr.M that he doesn't enjoy playing the guitar and sings Oscar Meyer wiener with his guitar, sadly Mr.M kicks him out saying he doesn't roll that way.

Wow since I had five test today I basically had know homework, so I could really focus on my blog for awhile. So far this is the one book that I've really enjoyed writing about in my blog and its only the first entry. Geez, (there's a interjection for you ladies and gentlemen) I'm off have do a couple of minor task before play rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment