Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Saint And A Criminal

I decided to read one of the three minute mini stories from the NPR website. I ended up choosing a tale called A Saint and A Criminal. The man in the story starts off by talking about his father and the joke he makes about a saint and a criminal in a bar. However the dad can't remember the punchline. This really makes the author think because he can't decide weather he would be the saint or the criminal. Later on the dad mentions the man's brother's wife, he talks about her waddleing about, indicting that shes pregnant. Not by the man's brother though. He pleads the man  to spare his brother from hearing this terrible news. Now the brother hasn't always been easy to deal with, when they were younger he sometimes wouldn't even come home after going out and it caused a lot of stress for the family. Well, later on the man and his parents are lead to the scene of an accident, where the brother has driven his car into some strangers living room after hearing the horrible news. Now his brother is in jail but the man describes how for the first time in a long time the brother seems happy again like way he was before the accident and all that tension. My favorite line has to be the last.
"The tiny bird on my tongue is raising its wings. The feathers tickle my throat. I cough. I open my mouth."
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/06/133542373/a-saint-and-a-criminal

No comments:

Post a Comment