Monday, March 14, 2011

A Temporary Book...Say Your'e one of them. 1-50


Yes I will admit...I finished Mathilda Savitch. The chapters were really short but had a ton of detail. I feel bad that I didn't write about what I read but...oh well. Anyways I'm reading a few books at the same time. A book for etymology and a just for fun book. So for my "fun book" I am reading "Say You're One of Them"

In the beginning of the book the speaker talks about his sister who has just turned twelve. Shes a prostitute and resents their parents for not paying for her education. Shes never home and when she does show up its to give some money to the family. Her name is Maisha. Maisha acts as if a role model to one of the younger sisters, Naema. Maisha tells Naema all the do's and don'ts of the street. She even teaches her how to wear makeup and walk in high heels. Its pretty upsetting thinking about how in certain parts of Africa, children have to resort to such depressing things to survive.

Later on Maisha helps pay for the rest of the families debt. This makes the mother really happy and she ends up having a new found respect for her prostitute daughter. One other upsetting topics in the household is the use of a certain drug, Kaibre. I guess it stifles hunger. Everyone in the family seems to be hooked on it, even the babies.

Wow, I really enjoy books like this because they make you realize that the world is full of depressing struggles. Not everyone gets up in the morning and goes to school. I thought my life was boring, at least I can be educated here. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment