Monday, January 10, 2011

What-the-Dickens.


The book I'm currently reading is called "What-the-Dickens". The book has been on my shelf for awhile, however, I haven't had a huge interest in it until recently when my Aunt Cathi, gave me well... "What-the-Dickens" again. I wasn't keen on the thought having a repeat book, but I took it as a sign that I might as well go on and read it. The book was written by Gregory Maguire, famous author of the well known book and later on musical "Wicked".

The book starts off on a stormy night in the Ormsby house. Dinah , Zeke and their little sister had just recently said goodbye to their parents, who left because of a medical emergency. Well just a day or two later, their cousin Gage shows up to take care of them. Everything seems quite alright until a hurricane takes place, food becomes scarce and the electricity goes out. Once this happens Dinah assumes that the world must be ending. To comfort the children, Gage decides to tell a story, which he claims to be true.

The tale is about a young tooth fairy, also know a skibberee that was born in a tuna fish can, beside a stream. The Skibberee wonders where he is, who he is and how it happened . However later on his thoughts are disrupted when a cat named Mcavity comes meandering about. Being the only living thing that the skibberee has ever seen he automatically assumes Mcavity must be his mother, he shouts out to her as if a greeting. Mcavity hears him and also mistakens him as a talking piece of taking tuna, he starts to pursue him. Just in the knick of time Mcaivty's owner shows up scolding her  "What the dickens--?"..."uggh. Is that a mouse? Mcavity! You beast. Up to your old tricks." The owner scoops up the very disappointed Mcavity and walks off.

The poor skibberee sits there and ponders over his first taste of words. He decides that in honor of Mcavity his name would be no other than, What-the-Dickens! What-the-Dickens decides that he will go on a Quest for Mcavity, bearing presents in hope that she will make him her pet. However before he is able to do so a bird swoops down and snatches him.

Wow, so that's where the book leaves us. So far so good, I'm actually enjoying it! I can't decide what kind of fiction this would be called...pop fiction? Anyway I'm pretty happy that I finished this blog entry, because I deleted it the first time around, smooth move.

No comments:

Post a Comment